Recently, VMware has launched its new product â€œVMware vCenter Log Insightâ€ A revamped version of the product they purchased in August of 2012 -Â VMware Acquires Pattern Insight. Â Although new to this space, it will be competing against industry veterans like Splunk, ArcSight, Solarwinds, SumoLogic, Loggly.Â The only difference is VMware makes a Hypervisor that owns the x86 server virtualization infrastructure market. The goal of this blog is to understand VMwareâ€™s VMware vCenter Log Insight positioning, key differentiators, deployment options and pricing.
Gartner surveys consistently show that 60% to 70% of midmarket companies, between 100 and 1,000 employees, tend to use VMware.
In the market for a log management solution?
Logs provide an audit trail that can be analyzed to detect and conduct detailed forensic analyses of cyber attacks, streamline regulatory audits, assist in application development, and improve IT service levels.Â I believe a Log management solution must be able to provide infrastructure-wide visibility into log data. It should be flexible enough so that it can be either used by individual teamsÂ (siloes – majority of IT shops)Â or expanded into an enterprise-wide log management solution when needed.
Customers that are in the need of a log management solution typically have the following symptoms;
- Vast amounts of log data is difficult to capture, manage and search.
- Traditional command line tools are inadequate for effective log management and require specialized skills and people.
So what makes VMware different and how do they plan on taking a piece of the log management pie? A market that is lead by the following major players;
- Fast time to value â€“ Delivered as a virtual appliance, and with a GUI based easy-to-use interface which enables customers to get started immediately and tap into vast amounts of unstructured machine-generated log and event data for real-time insights at your fingertips.
- Best for vSphere â€“ While other solutions require additional piecemeal software in order to work with vSphere, Log Insight comes with built-in knowledge and native support for your VMware deployments, and is built by VMware experts. Log Insight is the solution best suited for your VMware environment, and will always support the latest versions, whereas others will have to play catch-up.
- Purpose-built for hybrid clouds â€“ Use vCenter Operations and vCenter Log Insight together to maximize your ROI. VMwareâ€™s operations management portfolio enables you to maximize SLAs, reduce OpEx, and maintain IT control, in your dynamic hybrid cloud environments.
- vCenter Log Insight collects, stores and analyzes all types of log data (application logs, network traces, configuration files, messages, performance data etc.) at one place
- vCenter Log Insight is quick to deploy with virtual appliance form factor, and easy to use with an intuitive GUI that gets you started immediately. There is no need to learn a new search language.
- vCenter Log Insight enables faster analytical queries than traditional tools by adding structure to all types of unstructured log data, enabling administrators to troubleshoot quickly.
- vCenter Log Insight offers a predictable pricing model based on the number of servers; unlike other solutions that charge more when the amount of log data increases.
- vCenter Log Insight has native support for VMware vSphereÂ® and is integrated with vCenter Operations; it is the optimal solution for your VMware environment.
- VMware Log Insight is made available as a virtual appliance making deployment quick and easy.
- Detailed pricing information will be announced when vCenter Log Insight is ready to ship in Q3 2013
Again VMware’s business model depends on vSphere revenue and its ability to expand and invest in adjacent markets. VMware vCenter Log Insight being another product who’s focus is just that. Being a leader in the x86 space can buy you a whole lot of market share!
You can evaluate Log Insight at the VMware vCenter Log Insight beta community.
Enjoy and be social!