New Style of User in the 21st Century
I was drawn to one of the Mobility sessions at HP Discover by its very name – DT3804 â€œHow to build great Mobile Appsâ€! The session starts off with a timeline starting with the 1900s (the age of manufacturing) â€“ through 1960s (the age of distribution) â€“ 1990s (the age of Information) and 2010 (the age of the customer). New Style of IT has driven a new style of user experience in the 21st century from being useful to being usable and ultimately being enjoyable.
In the true spirit of having fun in theÂ Race to the New Style of IT, the Mobile App must be an enjoyable experience for the userâ€”an app the user should want to use rather than have to use. Useful doesnâ€™t cut it anymore.
Checkout what it means to go from Useful to Enjoyable.
- UsefulÂ – Does it add value? Does it meet expectations?
- UsableÂ – Is it easy to use? Is it easy to understand?
- EnjoyableÂ â€“ Are you having fun? Hello New Style of IT!
So, what are the key factors that influence this vital transition from Useful to Enjoyable?
- User.Â Being their own device, users of today have multiple things going in parallel that are related to their personal and professional lives. Where they are doesnâ€™t matter anymore. Itâ€™s all about what they have to deal with at any point in time. Innovation triggered by User Insight applied in alignment with Business Goals can result in the WOW! Factor that matters.
- Content. While users may seek convenience, they do not necessarily want to sacrifice content. Oded Kilmer put up a slide titled â€œHow to fit an elephant into a car,â€ referencing the content available on traditional websites that must be migrated to a mobile device. There isnâ€™t much fun you can have if you don’t have the right content!
- Responsive. The user’s screen could be a wearable device (with the tiniest screen imaginable) all the way to a hall-sized monitor. Screen size no longer matters. The app must intelligently render itself and be responsive to the screen size.
- Evaluate. Finally, the ultimate validation is in the evaluation of how long it takes users to access various items of information. A reasonable target would be to attain 100% success within three attempts.
The session reinforced the central role of users in the New Style of IT. In a world whereÂ Software is the new Brand that defines the Digital Enterprise, it is vital that the apps are geared to users. The manner in which the app is designed is strongly influenced by the user base â€“ with empowered buyers demanding a new level of customer obsession.
How about you? Are there other factors you would take into consideration for Mobile Apps within your enterprise? Are your users having fun with mobile apps? Please let me know.
Team up withÂ HP Technology Expert, E.G.Nadhan
Connect withÂ NadhanÂ on:Â Twitter,Â Facebook,Â LinkedinÂ andÂ Journey Blog.