I came across this article at Infoworld.com the other day. I thought it was rather interesting. It sums up 10 business skills you must develop to help you succeed in the IT field. Most of them sound like common sense, however I believe we all need a refresher once in a while. For a quick and easy read, I extracted the points from the original slideshow.
1. Listening â€“ Listen to understand what people are saying. Understanding business requirement can help you develop the most effective solution
2. Collaboration – How people who are on the same side figure out solutions to shared problems and also ways to pursue shared opportunities.
3. Negotiate – to help build a path forward. Always negotiate constructively. Don’t be a bully. Bullies always lose in the end 🙂
4. Basic Business Finance â€“ Understand revenue, profit and loss, ROI, deprecation, OPEX and CAPEX
5. Understanding the company’s business model â€“ How does the company compete? You need to know this, so you can recommend ways for IT to make their company more effective.
6. Understanding the company’s operating model â€“ Raw material to finished product. How do you fit all these pieces together?
7. Know how to use pronouns effectively â€“ I, YOU, WE. Present ideas which maximize acceptance and minimize resistance.
8. Political Power Mapping â€“ Network with the right people in your company. Avoid those who may slow or bring you down.
9. Managing Up â€“ Manage your boss, and set the appropriate expectations.
10. Doing your job â€“ Deliver results. You are paid to work. When give a task, do it and do it well.
Here is the link to the complete article.