As mentioned in my previous blog, HP has announced the HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization.Â HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization has the flexibility and scalability to ensure optimal price/performance for industry standard virtualization environments. I have been doing this for a while and believe me these predefined configurations will simplify the process. My blog will focus on the ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization procurement options andÂ pre-configured workload differences.
Basically the HPÂ ConvergedSystemÂ 300 comes in 2 flavors – Standard configuration and a Performance configuration, which can be expanded from 3 to 8 servers using the appropriate expansion kits.
HP ConvergedSystem 300 Standard: Optimized for general workloads, this reliable turn-key solution is built on rack-based servers and HP StoreVirtual VSA to reduce infrastructure acquisition costs.
- HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Standard Starter:
Uses 3 x HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 servers, each with 2 xÂ IntelÂ® XeonÂ® E5-2640 v2 processors, 96 GB of memory and 12 x HP 300GB 6G SAS 15K disks. It uses two redundant topÂ of rack HP 2920-48G network switches.
- HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Standard Expansion
Each expansion configuration has 1 x DL380p Gen8Â server with the same disk and memory configuration as the Standard starter. These additional servers use the network switches included in the starter kit.
Â HP ConvergedSystem 300 Performance: Optimized for high-performance virtualization workloads, the performance variant provides enhanced processors and more storage yielding better VM performance capabilities per server. Each system supports an expansion option of a similarly configured server with onboard storage that expands the solution up to eight servers.
- HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Performance Starter:
Uses 3 x ProLiant DL380p Gen8 servers, each with 2 xÂ Intel E5-2680 v2 processors, 192 GB of memory and 16 x HP 300GB 6G SAS 15K disks. It uses two redundant top of rackÂ HP 5900AF-48G network switches.
- HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Performance Expansion:
Each expansion configuration has 1 x DL380p Gen8Â server with the same disk and memory configuration as the Performance starter. These additional servers use the network switches included in the starter kit.
Are you a candidate for Standard or Performance
While the scalability of an HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization depends on the particular workloads being virtualized, HP considers the storage I/O load on each VM to be particularly significant. Thus, an estimation of the number ofÂ typical VMs that can be supported by a particular configuration should take into account the following key considerations:
- Number of logical processor cores: The solution design assumes a minimum of one VM per logical processor coreÂ equivalent on each server. With Intel Hyper-Threading Technology enabled, each server in the HP ConvergedSystem 300Â for Virtualization Standard configuration has 32 logical processor core equivalents and each server in the Performance configuration has 40 logical processors core equivalents.
- I/O workload: Each VM is typically expected to sustain an average storage load of 30 â€“ 50 host IOPS based on random,Â small-block I/Os with 60% reads/40% writes.Â Based on the core density and sustained storage I/O performance delivered by HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization, each server can support 32 VMs in the HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Standard configuration or 40 VMs in the Performance configuration. However, in practice, it is unlikely that a particular workload server would be consuming 100% of its storage resources at any one time. Thus, if 50% of storage resources were being consumed on average for the 3 servers in the Starter configuration, it would be able to support 192 VMs in Standard or 240 VMs in Performance.
- Alternatively, the HP Sizer for Server Virtualization can be used to access the HP Sizer for HP ConvergedSystem 300 forÂ Virtualization. The sizer will propose an optimized HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization solution based on workload characteristics specified by you.
In my next blog post, I will be providing anÂ overview of the hardware and software components of the HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization solution. Feel free to follow 1Cloudroad via your favorite social network. Enjoy and be social!
HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization Landing Page
Detailed specifications (HTML)
Detailed specifications (PDF)
HP ConvergedSystem 300 for Virtualization product tour